How I Resolved Python Document Conversion Failures Without External Packages

While generating a 24-point review response document for a journal submission, missing C-compiler tools in my local MSYS2 setup triggered ModuleNotFoundError and PEP 668 errors when installing python-docx. Here is how I bypassed the installation blockade and created the Word document using pure Python.

1. Identifying the Root Cause

The library python-docx depends on lxml, which requires compilation during installation. In restricted terminal environments, pip fails to build these C-extensions, halting the entire workflow.

2. The Standard Library Strategy

Instead of troubleshooting environment dependencies, I leveraged the fact that Microsoft Word natively renders HTML. Using Python's built-in html module, I built a zero-dependency script that formats data into styled HTML tables.

3. Execution Flow
  • Escaped text content using html.escape() to preserve special characters.
  • Added embedded CSS for alternating row shading, column widths, and cell borders.
  • Saved the string directly as a .doc file using standard open() file operations.
  • Ran python create_table.py via PowerShell to generate the final file instantly.
4. Outcome

The output file opened seamlessly in MS Word and Google Docs as an editable table document—ready for immediate portal upload without installing a single external package.

#Python | #Debugging | #Automation | #TechTips

Comments

Popular posts from this blog